Monday, September 8, 2008

Soft Oatmeal Cookies


You know what I love most about these cookies?? Everything! They are so incredibly soft and the aroma that fills the house while you are baking is out of this world. It reminds you of home and what mom used to bake..something I hope the boys remember about me: The times they came home to a house that smelled of freshly baked cookies and a glass of milk and a plate full of cookies waiting for them. I live only 10mins from the border of Germany and I love that because I am able to head over to the groceries stores there and find more of what I want. I walked threw the baking isle and found small bottles of butter vanilla extract. I bought some and figured I could use them in alot of recipes. I used it on this recipe and I cant tell you how wonderful the flavor is. The bottles contain 1/2 teaspoon each so I used half a teaspoon of that and another 1/2 teaspoon of the regular vanilla incase for some reason the flavor didnt come across. I didnt have to worry because WOW these were good. It gave it almost a buttery butterscotch flavor. I look forward to using the extract in many other things. These are really soft so make sure that when you take them out of the oven you let them sit for a few minutes before you take them off and move them to the wire rack.
Soft Oatmeal Cookies
1 cup Butter
1 cup Sugar
1 cup packed Brown Sugar
2 Eggs
1 tspn Vanilla
2 cups Flour
1 tspn Baking Soda
1 tspn Salt
1 1/2 tspn Cinnamon
3 cups Oats
Preheat oven to 375 or 190 celcius. In a bowl mix together the flour,baking soda,salt and cinnamon;set aside. In another bowl combine the butter,sugar,brown sugar and eggs:making sure to mix throughly and until fluffy. Add the flour mixture and mix in oats by hand with a wooden spoon. Drop onto lightly greased cookie sheet and bake for 10 mins.