Monday, September 1, 2008

Peanutbutter Cookies


I decided that atleast once a week I would try out a recipe from the blogs that I visit. I can't believe how many wonderful cooking blogs there are. I thinking blogging in general is so cool because you come across people you wouldnt normally meet in life and you get a peak into their world and can taste the food as if you were a guest in their home. I've always been curious about people and I'm one of those people that when I drive by someone's home I like to look in the window and imagine what it looks like on the inside and when I smell something cooking Im always super curious as to what they are baking. We have turkish neighbors and the smells coming out of their place is amazing! They told me I could come over and eat with them anytime and Im thinking that time might be soon..lol


So on to my first recipe. I wanted to bake some peanutbutter cookies so I closed my eyes and clicked on a blog and typed in peanutbutter cookies in the search blog section. I landed in The Sunday Baker's blog and found a recipe. You can find her blog on the right side and if you have a few minutes you really need to head over there. She has some wonderful recipes to try out and I plan to do more of that. These cookies were wonderful,super soft and oh so peanutbuttery. My oldest son had a friend over and I gave him a cookie. You have to realise that in the netherlands these kinds of cookies just don't exsist. You bring up peanutbutter and chocolate up to a average dutch person and you get a look of disgust from them. They would never combine the two in any form and don't even get me started on peanutbutter and jelly and how they cant comprehend that one either. So I handed the boy a cookie and he looked at me and said "Pindakaas Koekje?" Pindakaas is the dutch word for peanutbutter and when translated it means peanut cheese..lol we get our cookie name from the dutch form Koekje. Anyway he had never heard of it and took a big bite and smiled..lol He said it was "Lekker" wich means good. Thats one dutch boy down and a bazillion more to convert..lol


I had to change a few things about the recipe. She actually made a filling to go on the inside wich I will try at a later date but I didnt have the ingredients on hand. Also her recipe called for 1/2 butter and 1/2 cup shortening. I cant get shortening here unless I visit a Toko and then they sell it in a tiny can for alot of money. There is another version of it here but alot of people have said they didnt like it so for now I used all butter wich produced a super soft cookie..wich I love anyway. I didnt change anything else. Thanks Tanya for a great recipe and we look forward to trying out more!

Peanutbutter Cookies
1 cup Butter( the original is half butter,half shortening)
1 cup Peanutbutter
1 cup Sugar
1 cup Brown Sugar
3 Eggs
1 tspn Vanilla
3 cups Flour
2 tspn Baking Soda
1/4 tspn Salt
** Preheat oven to 375 or 190 celcius. Mix the flour,soda and salt in a bwl and set aside. Mix remaining ingredients together,beating it until it's smooth and fluffy; add the flour mixture and mix until combined. After this point I guess you can decide what size you want to make them. I wanted a ton so they would last all week so I made small ball sizes and then dipped my fork and make the famous criss cross shape when pressing the douch down. Bake them for 7-8 mins and depending on the size you can get atleast 3 dozen out..wich is what I did.