Friday, September 19, 2008

Old Fashioned Coffee Cake


I had a friend come over yesterday for a visit and I decided to make a coffee cake. This isnt something you normally serve in the netherlands but since she is an american I knew she would love this aswell. I liked the cake, alot although I must say it makes alot of the topping so if you arent big on a bunch of it then I would suggest you cut the recipe down a bit wich is what I will do myself the next time I make it. I notice as I get "slighty" older I appreciate getting together with a good friend and talking about things. It helps even more when you live abroad and you are able to talk with someone from your own country. I hope you will make this recipe. It's easy,smells great and tastes even better!
Old Fashioned Coffee Cake
Streusel Topping:
1 1/2 cups ground Graham Crackers
3/4 cup finely chopped Walnuts
3/4 cup lightly packed brown sugar
1 tspn ground Cinnamon
1/4 tspn ground Cardamom(I didnt have any and used nutmeg instead)
1/2 unsalted Butter,melted
BATTER:
2 cups Cake Flour
1 cup Sugar
2 1/2 tspns Baking Powder
1/2 tspn Salt
1/2 cup unsalted Butter,softened
2 large Eggs
2 tspns Vanilla Extract
1 cup Milk
Preaheat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Lightly grease either a 8 inch pan or 9 inch spring form pan. In a medium bowl combine the ingredients for the topping and set aside. In a large bowl add flour,baking powder, and salt;whisk together to mix.Add butter,eggs,vanilla,and milk;beat until mixture is smooth and thick;about 2 mins. Spread half of the batter into your greased pan and sprinkle with half the topping mixture. Spoon remaning batter over the topping,and then sprinkle the remaining topping over the batter. Bake 60-70mins or until toothpick comes out clean. If baking in a spring form pan,allow the cake to set for 15 mins and cool off a bit. Loosen side of pan and continue cooling on wire rack.