Sunday, September 14, 2008

Cheesy Au Gratin Potatoes


Is there anything better than a side dish of creamy cheesy Au Gratin potatoes?? I can't think of to many. You can make this into a main course by adding in a cup or 2 of diced up ham. I like it as a side dish with a roast or steak. As the weather gets cooler my need to make comfort food becomes greater. I've been reading a ton of recipes and I have some things coming up so stay tuned. I have decided to tackle my fear of bread making so hopefully I will have a succesful post about it. I will be making some stews,soups aswell as showing you how to make some traditional Dutch meals at home. It's fun to try food from another country that you can make yourself at home. I hope everyone has a great week! On a side not the recipe calls for Russet Potatoes. If you are in the U.S. thats no problem but if you live outside of it you don't come in contact with those. So use any large potatoe that you can come across when making these. I have left the onion as being optional here only because whenever I have had these from someone else and they include them I have never liked it. The onions were pale and a bit slimy looking so unless you are a die hard onion fan I really dont think this dish needs it.
Cheesy Au Gratin Potatoes
4 russet potatoes,peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch slices
1 onion,sliced into rings(optional)
salt and pepper to taste
3 TBLSPNS Butter
3 TBLSPNS Flour
1/2 teaspn Salt
2 cups Milk
2 cups shredded Cheese
Preheat Oven to 400 degrees F or 200 C. Grease a 2 quart dish. Layer 1/2 of potatoes into bottom of the dish. Top with onions if you want and then layer with the remaining potatoes. If you dont use the onion just put all the potatoes into the dish and then season with the salt and pepper. In a medium sized saucepan,melt butter over medium heat. Mix in the flour and salt and stir constantly with a wisk for one minute. Stir in milk a little at a time to avoid lumps in the sauce. Cook until mixture has thickened. Stir cheese in all at once and continue stirring until melted..about 30 to 60 seconds. Pour cheese over the potatoes and cover the dish with aluminum foil. I made sure I sprayed the foil with some baking spray to make sure that it didnt stick to the cheese. Bake for 1 hr 30 mins. Take the foil off the last 15-20 mins if you want to the cheese to get a bit of color.