Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Sloppy Joe's

I love making meals from scratch. I dont have anything against box mixes and will even use those occasionally..however since I moved to another country Im learning more and more everyday the need to create something from scratch that I remember from "home". Sloppy Joe's is one such meal. We all at some point ate these when we were kids and then fixed them ourselves for our children. You make these a few ways..either by popping open a can and adding the mix to hamburger meat or using a spice pack. I cant just run out and get that here so when I spotted this recipe in my Taste of Home cookbook I knew I had to try it. I made it tonight and it was an instant winner. It tastes very much like what I grew up on but somehow it's better. It's tangy but not overly sour tasteing. The original recipe calls for onions but I have never been a fan of onions so I instead chopped up one decent sized red pepper. I diced it up finely and my youngest didn't bat an eye when he ate it..infact they licked their plates clean. Along with this dish I made potatoe wedges. Simply slice a few potatoes up,throw them into a bowl with some oil and whatever spice you want. Toss to coat,lay them out on a pan and cook them while you are cooking the sloppy joes. I put them in a 400 degree oven for about 30-35 minutes and turned them over half way threw cooking. Serve with sliced apples and for the kiddies a glass of cold chocolate milk.

Sloppy Joe's

2 pounds Ground Beef
1 large onion (or one decent pepper if you prefer..seeded and chopped finely)
1 1/4 cups Ketchup
1/2 cup Water
1 TBLSPN Brown Sugar
1 TBLSPN White Vinegar
1/2 tspn Salt
1/2 tspn Ground Mustard
1/2 tspn Chili Powder
1/4 tspn Ground Allspice
8 hamburger buns
** In a large skillet cook beef and onion(pepper) over medium heat until meat is no longer pink;drain. Add the ketchup,water,brown sugar,vinegar,salt,mustard,chili powder and allspice.Bring to a boil.Reduce heat,simmer uncovered for 35-40mins (stick your potatoes into the oven at this time)** On a side note I coudnt find ground mustard or allspice here and there really was no change in the flavor. Instead of Allspice I sprinkled in some seasoning salt.