Sunday, August 31, 2008

Fried Aubergine


When moving to a new country you quickly learn that what you call something isnt always what another country calls it. Take for instance our green peppers..here in the netherlands they are called Paprikas..yep just like that spice we sometimes use. However if you want to use the Paprika spice..it's still called paprika. There is even a paprika flavored chip here. Speaking of chips..Cool Ranch is called Cool American because ranch dressing doesnt exsist here!! how can you not have that? Im resorting to making my own now or I swap spice packets with people in trade for ranch packets..lol Anyway my really long story revolves around my trying to find Eggplant or as the dutch call it Aubergine. I always feel like I'm crazy when I cant find a name for something here and noone ever knows what Im talking about until I google it or stumble upon it in a store. I love eggplant! Well I should say I love fried eggplant. I haven't actually had it to many ways but Im going to try more with it and grow my own next year..along with some green peppers..uhhh..Paprikas:) My kids love fried egg plant and we eat them like potato chips..they are that good and super simple to make!
Fried Eggplant
1 eggplant..any size
Flavored Bread Crumbs
2 Eggs
** Peel the skin off the eggplant,slice it semi thin..you dont want it to thick or it wont really xrisp up. Beat your eggs in one dish,add your bread crumbs in another. Dip them in egg and then in your bread crumbs and fry over medium heat in some oil.It doesnt take long,you just want to the bread crumbs to turn a nice brown color.** So simple and so yummie.