Sunday, August 10, 2008

Apple Crisp


Is there anyone out there who doesn't like the smell of apple crisp baking in the oven? I love it. Thats odd though because normally I do not like the smell or taste of hot apples or the smell of cinnamon but for some reason this works for me. I usually make applecrisp all the time in the fall and winter. There is just something special about making this dessert on a cold wintery day. My husband mentioned how much he liked it the other day so I set out to make a small dish for us. I honestly don't think anyone can fail at making apple crisp..it's virtually impossible in my eyes. I suppose the only way would be if you didnt bake the apples long enough or did something weird with the topping but other then that anyone can make this..and I hope you do!
Apple Crisp

4
medium tart cooking apples, sliced (4 cups)
3/4
cup packed brown sugar
1/2
cup flour
1/2
cup quick-cooking or old-fashioned oats
1/3
cup butter or margarine, softened
3/4
teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4
teaspoon ground nutmeg
Cream or Ice cream, if desired
1.
Heat oven to 375ºF. Grease bottom and sides of 8-inch square pan with shortening.
2.
Spread apples in pan. In medium bowl, stir remaining ingredients except cream until well mixed; sprinkle over apples.
3.
Bake about 30 minutes or until topping is golden brown and apples are tender when pierced with a fork. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream